Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Couples Therapy

Relationships are funny - even if you take care of them and nurture them, they can fall into these periods where nothing seems to go right. Then you have to make a decision: is what you have invested in the relationship worth saving, or is it time to just walk away?

Recently, my bike Vin and I have been in desperate need of therapy.  You would think after being together so long, we would have this communication thing down pat.  I really think the trouble began when I went to the open water swim and rode my friend's tri bike instead of her.  She had to wait in the hot car, and I'm fairly sure she wasn't too pleased when she saw how happy I was after riding the other bike.  Girls and jealousy...

As I wrote in an earlier post, the Mcallen ride was a disaster, and my last two outings after that had been cut short by spectacular blowouts. The first set I understood, after all, the tires were old.  The second and third sets, well, let's just say I think Vin was trying to tell me something.  I really wish she would have just come out and said it though.  Golly, with how much girls love to talk, you would think she could have just TOLD me!

Thankfully, I think I have been forgiven.  I got out today and rode 25 miles flat free, and with good average speeds. Whatever issues we were having, I think the worst of it has passed.  Good timing too, with less than eight weeks to the Half, this really isn't the time for a communication breakdown.

I'm being very careful with what I say - I don't think it's the right time to tell her that I intend on riding a borrowed bike for the Half.  As long as I keep the two of them apart, she'll never know.  Do I feel a little guilty?  Well, yeah.  But Vin's getting old and maybe the Olympic distances are a good length for her. Have to show her the proper love and respect by treating her well in her old age. She's been good to me.

I can't believe the Half is almost here.  It seemed like yesterday it was March and I was signing up.  Being able to share this race with so many other first timers will make it very special - especially with Esmeralda.  That is one fierce lady, and I am honored to share the course with her.  Just hope she doesn't beat me by too much, or at least waits for me at the finish line.

For all of you who are joining me in Austin - 8 weeks to go! Hope your training is going well, and see you at the starting line! :)

1 comment:

  1. Your opening line is priceless, but those are some good thoughts to ponder on. Like the song says, relationships aren’t always rainbows and butterflies, but “it’s compromise that moves us along”. I’m glad that both of you were able to do just that, and found that “something” you have invested in your relationship that’s worth saving.

    Natalie Lamb @ The Good Life Therapy Centre

    ReplyDelete