Monday, September 30, 2013

No Struggle, No Reward

With less than a month to the Half Ironman in Austin, there is an epidemic running through those that will be competing - doubtitis.

For the majority of us, it will be the first time we have attempted that distance. Even though we have been putting in the work and hours needed to condition our bodies to doing these long distances, we won't actually put all three parts of the race together until race day.

Our condition is common, pretty much everyone goes through it, no matter what their sport. "Did I train enough? Am I strong enough? What the hell was I thinking paying to do this to myself?" That kind of thing. There are those who will openly admit that they are feeling this way, and then there are those of us that don't say anything and just hold it in.

Day to day I vary.  Days like Saturday, where a 60 mile ride with a good headwind during parts of it showed me that I could maintain a good pace even when I was nutritionally deficient (when I stopped at red lights for the last ten miles, my legs literally shook - serves me right for only bringing one GU). I knew had I done the right nutrition, I could have easily started the run.

Sunday was an open water swim - you could see the tension in people's faces as they talked about the upcoming SPI Tri, and further out, those doing the Half. It seemed like the kind of day to really play on your fears - a bunch of people were stung by jellyfish that were not normally out there, two people were observed by a curious dolphin (which I wish had happened to me that would have been SO cool!) and Cheryl was swarmed by a group of fish.

Since swimming is like breathing to me, and I was spared the jellyfish thankfully, the swim was more therapeutic to me than anything. I could tell, however, that not everyone shared my view. Swimming generally tends to be the sport most triathletes survive to be able to get to the rest of the race.

I think as these next few weeks play out and the race approaches we need to remember that it is these fears and doubts that allow us to have that sweet feeling of accomplishment when we finish.  There is no victory without the struggle, no reward without the challenge.

For me, I have been blessed this last week or so.  I've had the chance to run with an uber runner - Cyndi, who eats the Boston Marathon for breakfast.  You can't help but be encouraged when she tells you you are doing well. I've had encouragement from everyone, the demons in my head have decided to tone down the noise, and my foot is getting better. My own doubtitis flairs up once in a while, but I welcome it, knowing that each time I feel it and beat it, that medal around my neck will mean so much more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment